Frequently Asked Questions

Some FAQ's

How much do I need to ‘budget’ for?

To reserve a property you will be asked to complete an application form, produce the required original documentation such as driving licence, passport, pay slips and bank statements plus pay the administration fee. In some cases we will require a guarantor who will need to produce the same documents as above plus their proof of home ownership and a recent utility bill. The deposit is one and a half times the rent and this is paid together with the first month’s rent before you move in. The deposit is not subject to interest payments.

Rents are paid monthly by standing order in advance.

Who pays the utilities – are these included in the rent?

Normally the tenant takes over all of the utilities including water and council tax, which are not included in the rent, unless stated otherwise.

What is the letting agent’s role for the tenant?

The agent is employed by the Landlord so the agent will act in their best interest. However professional letting agents will abide by best practice rules that work for both landlord and tenant. Using an A.R.L.A. agent such as Fairway Residential lettings, ensure that you sign a property AST agreement that clearly sets out the responsibilities of both the landlord and tenant. To find out more about the letting agents’ role, continue reading our guide to renting

Who do I deal with – the letting agent or landlord

Fairway Residential Lettings will deal with the property viewings, references and agreements. We manage all of our properties. If the property is ‘managed’ the tenant will normally report any repairs or queries to the letting agent.

Who should arrange and pay for repairs at the property?

Fairway Residential Letting s together with the landlord should arrange any repairs including appliances unless otherwise stipulated. However tenants are responsible for breakages which would normally be deducted from the deposit unless otherwise agreed. A tenant should report repairs and breakages as soon as they occur.

What privacy am I entitled to – when should I expect visits from the landlord or agent?

A tenant’s privacy is respected by gaining prior agreement to inspect a property during the tenancy. As a general guide, whilst you are renting, the letting agent or landlord will always give you 24 hours notice of a visit. This subject is normally addressed in the tenancy agreement.

What type of rental agreement is used?

A six month Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) is used for the majority of residential tenancies. This is normally a standard contract between Landlord and Tenant. We do not offer open ended periodic tenancies.


Can I stop paying rent if repairs are delayed?

It is a dangerous practice to withhold rental payments for whatever reason because you would be in breach of the tenancy agreement, for which the Landlord could take you to court. Discuss any concerns with the agent. To avoid ambiguity, many letting agents ask tenants to report any requirement for repairs in writing. If the landlord is managing their own property, then it may be worth taking advice from a solicitor of any important repair is not dealt with. Letting Agents still have to seek the permission to do the repair from the landlord. Any repair involving sanitation heating or hot water is given priority.

If I want to leave the property can I give notice at any time during the tenancy?

If you leave earlier than the agreed end of tenancy date you will be liable to pay rent until the end of the tenancy. Under the terms of our contract, you must notify us before the 5th month of a six month contract starts if you do not want to renew again for another six months.

Does it matter which letting agent I rent through?

To ensure you receive a professional service its best to choose to rent a property via an A.R.L.A. approved agent (Association of Residential letting agents) such as Fairway Residential Lettings.

An A.R.L.A. agent works to professional standards that work well for both landlords and tenants: a tenant renting through an A.R.L.A. agent can expect that the landlord will carry out safety checks eg. gas, electricity and furnishings. The correct tenancy agreement will be used, ensuring that responsibilities are clearly set down and privacy of the tenant is adequate.



Click on Tenants or Landlords tab at top of page